Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Monday, August 19, 2013

Current Obsession (1)

Hey readers! This is a feature I've been wanting to introduce for quite some time now. I think I'm going to call it "Current Obsession" and it's completely inspired by the monthly "favorites" videos that may be seen on YouTube  (ex: missglamorazzi, Tanya Burr, & DulceCandy87).

While BAM Book Reviews is primarily a YA book blog, I thought I would mix things up around here and show you all some random obsessions of mine. These obsessions can range from TV shows, movies, music, makeup, food, etc. For now, I'm going to stick to featuring one "obsession" per post. I'm so excited about this new feature because I'll get to share some of my other interests besides books and hopefully introduce all of you to some cool new things!

"From the creator of “Weeds” comes a heartbreaking and hilarious new series set in a women’s prison. Piper Chapman’s wild past comes back to haunt her, resulting in her arrest and detention in a federal penitentiary. To pay her debt to society, Piper trades her comfortable New York life for an orange prison jumpsuit and finds unexpected conflict and camaraderie amidst an eccentric group of inmates."

Okay, so I jumped on the bandwagon that was rolling through Twitter. You caught me! Orange is the New Black is absolutely my new obsession. I'm twitching now that I've ended season one and have to wait for season two to be streaming on Netflix. I started watching this show on a Friday night and then finished the season finale on the following Monday night/Tuesday morning. THAT'S CRAZY for me. This show is a complete addiction and I would recommend it to anyone over the age of 18 (due to mature content.)

I had a feeling I would love Orange is the New Black because Jenji Kohan created it. As soon as I learned that Kohan was behind this marvelous show, I knew I had to watch it. Kohan also created Weeds which is one of my other favorite shows that you should watch (if you haven't already!)

As you can tell from the description of above of OITNB, the setting is a women's prison. Personally, I've always had such a fascination with prison so this show was especially interesting to me. However, I think it will appeal to a large audience: males and females of most ages. The show centers around so many different types of characters of different ethnicities and ages. I think that's why the show is doing so well so far. There always seems to be a story that someone in the audience can relate to and I adore that.

I was beginning to rethink my subscription to Netflix but now that Orange is the New Black is exclusive on it, my subscription will be staying put. Once again, I highly, highly recommend this show to anyone and everyone (mostly over the age of 18) and hope you adore it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!