Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wishlist Wednesday (3)


Arielle:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside ofMunich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

I have heard so many amazing things about this book and I always want to buy it when I am at Barnes and Noble and I totally would if I didn’t already have 30 books sitting at home waiting to be read.

Markus Zusak is a great writer, he has written I Am The Messenger that both Briana and I have read and which we think is a great book [one of us should do a review on that soon]. He is an award winning author and definitely needs to write more books!

I am especially attracted to this book, The Book Thief, because it is set in Germany during World War II. I love learning about the Holocaust and World War II, it is always very interesting and also very sad, to hear the troubles too many people had to go through. And it is even more trying to hear about the struggles many teenage youths faced during those times.

I am hoping to pick up this book sooner or later and read it, because it truly does look amazing and a fantastic read.

Briana:

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman

"There is little more likely to exasperate a person of sense than finding herself tied by affection and habit to an Enthusiast." Julie knows from bitter experience: her best friend, Ashleigh, is an Enthusiast. Ashleigh's current fancy is also Julie's own passion, Pride and Prejudice, and the heroine's quest for True Love. And so Julie finds herself swept along with Ashleigh, dressed in vintage frocks and sneaking into a dance at the local all-boys' prep school. There they discover several likely candidates for True Love, including the handsome and sensitive Parr. And Julie begins to wonder if maybe this obsession of Ashleigh's isn't so bad after all. . . .

I just think this book looks so cute! First of all, the cover is super adorable. Stephenie Meyer recommended the book. The last book I read that Stephenie Meyer recommended was The Hunger Games and I was amazed.

I haven't really heard anything bad about this book either, so hopefully I'll get it soon!

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog today; it's great!

    This was a favorite book of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enthusiasm was such a cute, light read. You will most definetely enjoy it! And I really want The Book Thief. x___X!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!